Sunday, October 19, 2014

She Won't Reveal 24




           She Won’t Reveal (24)
                      Nidhu Bhusan Das


The lunch’s lively.Prof.Sanyal’s created the ambience. Smile and laughter marked the occasion. They’re five at the table.Anu and the professor were seated side by side. Across the table Sujata’s at the centre with Prafullada on the right and Angshu to the left of her. All had mentioned the culinary triumph of Anu. She cooked pineapple-hilsa, Mughlai Chicken and mungh dal.”Auntie’s a brilliant cook with a spirit of innovation,” said the professor in a sincere tone.Others agreed.” Auntie I think we should stay back here for a couple of days for the food,” continued Prof.sanyal. “I’d be happy if you stay with me till my last day,” Anu said. “Are you sure, auntie?” the professor asked, earnest.” I mean what I say, son. Your presence and counseling are important for me,” said Anu.

                     It appears Anu’s changed. She says she needs counseling. The past suggests she didn’t care for any opinion other than her own. This didn’t help her become what she could be. She’s talented. She could have been a great scholar had she been careful and self-conscious. She sacrificed for love and wasn’t reciprocated. She’s reluctant to accept the fact in an attempt to hide her error of judgment. Blunder followed blunder.This’s time for her turnaround and she understands it isn’t possible without counseling. A turmoil goes on in her mind.
                    After lunch the professor went to the guestroom for his usual siesta. Anu asked Angshu to go to the guestroom. She thought Angshu should be given an opportunity to pour out his mind to someone. The professor would be able to know his mind and analyse his thought necessary for counseling. Besides, she’d share important things with Sujata to which Angshu shouldn’t be privy. Angshu followed the guest.  The two had a long conversation. The professor lay on his back while Angshu’s sitting on the edge of the bed near the head of the guest. Propping his chin on the right palm Professor Sanyal said to Angshu,” You must have a fantastic life in the beautiful bungalow with the edifying presence of your graceful MAA. She’s really a wonderful human being with motherly qualities.I envy you. Had I such a MAA!” Angshu agreed with the guest and said his MAA’s really excellent and said,” I’ve never seen such an accomplished and gracious person as my MAA. I respect her and love her. She’s my god-given MAA, I believe and feel. Of late I’ve begun to pity her, feel sorrow for her,” said Angshu, his voice wet.
“Is it? But why, what’s wrong?” asked the professor, eager.
“She’s changed, loses temper often, and doesn’t have patience to hear us,” said Angshu, sad.
“Maybe, she’s troubles in the office. It happens in working place sometimes,” said the guest to pacify and reassure Angshu.
“Do you know she’s already resigned?”
“How can I, she didn’t tell me. Possibly you’ve the wrong information. It cannot be. My MAA Sujata, her soul mate, would know.”
“Arupbabu’s sister who’s her junior colleague and union leader in the office came one evening and told her she could now go to her brother as she had resigned.MAA didn’t go out that day. The next day she left for Guwahati in the morning and Arupbabu came in the afternoon to talk to her.”
“Interesting! Did Arupbabu tell you anything?”
“He said MAA’s his friend. The following day two persons drove to the house before noon. They came in a luxury car. They went round the bungalow and looked longingly at the garden. They said it’d be a good bargain. We may buy it below the ruling price because she needs money to pay the house loan off.”
“The two pieces of information reinforce each other i.e., she’s resigned and she’s going to sell the bungalow,” remarked Angshu.
“You must wait and see. It isn’t wise to jump to conclusion,” said the professor to assuage his feelings.
“I feel for her, I’m sad because she might have done something unwise.”
“She’s your MAA and she’s really wise. Every step she takes with much care.”
“But she’s being provoked by the sister of Arupbabu, she doesn’t understand it.”
“Prafullada and you spend most of the time in the house. Did you share it with him?”
“I did. He shares my concerns.”
“Where’s Prafullada now?”
“He may be in his room.”
“Well, we may talk to him when he’s in the garden. When is he expected in the garden?”
“Around 4 p.m.
                     The professor said his MAA loves both of them. She depends on them. She does
everything with care and much thought. They shouldn’t worry. She thinks about their future. She’d never go to Arupbabu.She’s very clear in mind, honest in thought. Sometimes error of judgment occurs inadvertently. We should consider that.” Don’t lose heart. Everything will be okay if you understand her and co-operate,” he assured Angshu. They continued the talk uninterrupted. The two friends upstairs also shared emotions and minds.Anu’s candid. She told Sujata what compelled her to resign and decide to sell the bungalow.” Had you and I been in the same office, I mightn’t have resigned. And since I’ve resigned I won’t be able to pay the EMI of the loan so I’m to sell the bungalow,” she explained.Sujata said,” That you’ve resigned is a blunder. You could share the idea before implementing. You haven’t learnt from experience. Now what’s your decision? I’m sure you haven’t informed your parents, have you?
“No, I won’t. I’ve no parents,” Anu said,” harping on the same string.
” What’s your next plan?” asked Sujata, anxious.
“I don’t know, exactly.”
“Will you stay back here or return to Delhi or Kolkata?”
“Won’t leave this place. Would rent a room, find some work to do.”
“Then what’ll happen to Prafullada and Angshu?”
“They’ll leave me soon.”
“Who told you? Again you’re mistaken.”
“Prafullada told he would leave. Maybe, Angshu would seek another MAA.”
“Have Angshu told you so?”
“He hasn’t, but I understand.”
“Then you’re again a failure. Maybe, I’m harsh, but I must say so.”
“Not harsh, you’re hundred per cent correct. My life’s a big heap of failures.”
“And you invite failure after failure. It appears you enjoy failures.”
At this Anu began to cry, and said,”Sujata dear, how can you say I enjoy failure? Here you’re harsh, really.”
“Would you like to be guided by my son? You know he loves you, feels for you, intensely.”
“He must have been unhappy and may have thought I’m capricious. Would he help me, really?”
“If you’re interested to be helped. It’s he who persuaded me that we should visit you in no time when I told him of your resignation. He personally requested the regional manager not to forward your resignation letter to the head office.”
“But, Sujata, I won’t withdraw.”
“Let’s talk together and analyse the pros and cons. Are you interested?”
“I’m dear. I would like to be guided. I understand I’m lost.” ( continued on 30th October 2014)














No comments:

Post a Comment