Friday, March 9, 2012

Fire Me , Boss

Nidhu Bhusan Das :


Fire me, boss, if you like, but I cannot be silenced. I understand, you are in a tie with two ministers for procuring land to build a tourist resort, your pet project. This happens. Capital and politics are in relationship, always and everywhere. Think, how, overnight, the communist party functionaries could turn red capitalists following the dismantling of the Soviet Union under the impact of Glasnost and Perestroika introduced by Mikhail Gorvachev.So,it’s not wrong that you have built a beneficial relationship with the ruling party politicians. In the interest of your politician-cronies you can sacrifice your worker you are scared of, thinking he knows about your clandestine deals, or your new cronies feel he is dangerous for the simple fact they suppose he is aware of the skeleton in their cupboard .Be it what may, you are determined, I know, to crash me, even to annihilate me, if need be, according to your judgment.
I understand, now, the theme of the relation between criminality and respectability in the novel ‘The Great Expectations’ by Victorian author Charles Dickens. I am sure you are not aware of the world of literature because you have been a busy operator in the stock market since your student life. I think, boss, that’s the problem with you. You don’t know that a soul can’t be silenced. Those who have read Shakespeare’s ‘Hamlet’ know this. You don’t know how the Ghost of the murdered king reveals the truth of the murder and the identity of the murderer. It is said, fools rush where angels fear to tread. No, I don’t mean to say you’re a fool. How can it be? You’re supposed to be an intellectual, being the editor of the famous morninger ‘The Gatekeeper’. I rate you so; I must, because you’re my boss.
But you’re not an angel. You’re a privileged person, being the inheritor-editor of a daily newspaper. Have you read ‘Macflecknoe’? Perhaps not, for reading is not to your liking.. You only listen to cronies. Shadwell also inherited position though he was a dullard. I know you would not accept what you actually are. But even your cronies delight in your susceptibility. You are a nice guy – beautiful in appearance, grave in posture. But Socrates was not beautiful! Yet he is enthroned in our mind. Your throne is in your office. Do you understand the difference? Maybe, it is not expected of you. We remain far removed from reality when we live in a fool’s paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment