Thursday, April 2, 2015

She Won't Reveal 47





          She Won’t Reveal (47)
                      Nidhu Bhusan Das


            Monday.30th March 2015.A mild tempest lashed Kolkata  for about 20 minutes and rains continued till 10 a.m. That delayed the scheduled journey to the house of Sujata’s parents from Arunima.They’re ready to start early in the morning.Sujata confirmed by telephone to her mom they’re coming and would have lunch. They started soon after the rain had subsided but the journey was delayed by the trees that had fallen on the road at several points. They reached at 12.30 p.m. to the delight of the parents at the visit of their daughter after six months that too along with Anu and her parents whom they’d heard of a lot from Sujata but had never seen. The house turned agog with mirth. Parents of both the girls were so happy to meet fort he first time, though the couples had known about each other from their daughters since long. Their talk covered many topics other than that of the marriage of their marriageable daughters as they’re aware of the determination girls to remain maidens. Sujata went to the kitchen to instruct the cook while Anu kept herself in the busy reading a story on her iPad.The title’s They’re on Chat
“They are on chat – Rumi and Swarup. Rumi’s in Siliguri, West Bengal, India. Swarup  in New York, the USA. Far apart they are. Yet very near, intimate, with webcams connected. Rumi goes online after supper regularly at 11 p.m. This’s the mutually agreed time. I would give you the copy of one such conversation they had last night. You will find it interesting.
Rumi began thus: How are you? Swarup replied: Fine. What was the menu for supper? Rice, roti, fish curry and chili chicken. The chat continued for an hour. Think how many words they used, how many emotions they shared. Their interaction was like that of a couple in bed or lovers in an arbor. I was with Rumi that time, and was, therefore, privy to the exchange. I will not be able to publish for you the whole conversation. I shall reproduce only those portions which I am permitted to make public. And I shall be honest. Well, you may think why I was allowed to be with Rumi at night in her exclusive time. I’ll tell you in time. For now, I can tell Rumi is a nice girl. She’s excellent and adorable. Every peer around appreciates her beauty in physique, gait, talk and the smile she wears. Many are there eager to have her hand. It’s really difficult for her to negotiate her way through the crowd of adorers. But I can say she’s agile enough to wade through. Onlookers notice her while her eyes scan the air. Everybody thinks he’s won her tender heart, nobody knows her heart travels across the Atlantic every night.
You may be jealous that I know so much about her. Be it so. I volunteer to place before you the conversation for your perusal and understanding.
Swarup (hereinafter S): My God! A glutton, indeed. Take such heavy food at night!
Rumi (hereinafter R): Not in the least. I follow what the nutritionist advises.
S: Hang your nutritionist. It’s common knowledge we should avoid heavy food for healthy life. Forget that. What’s the message for me now?
R: For Godsake hold your tongue, and let me love.
S: Donne, metaphysical. Good. When shall we shed ‘meta’?
 R: Naughty boy! What had you for lunch?
S: It’s Thursday, baby. Didn’t I tell you I fast on the day?
R: O! Yes. I forgot.
S: You look nice. Had you been to the parlor?
 R: It’s bad. You don’t recognize I have natural beauty. ‘Phony’ is the word Americans cling to. I’d say you look nice and exuberant. Has there been anything special to make you exceptionally happy?
S: I saw you in dream last dawn. I dreamt we were together in bed looking eye to eye and enjoying the togetherness. I see you’re excited (the picture on the webcam shows her face reddened).
R: I have such dreams every night. Ridiculous! Fiction! Fools live in fiction. I am not a fool, am I?
S: No, dear. You are quite sensible. I hope I shall not live long in a fool’s paradise.
 R: When will you have your real paradise, tentatively at least?
 S: Soon, very soon – maybe, in a couple of months.
 R: You left after the honeymoon. Seems ages have glided by.
S: The waiting will end soon. How’s the weather out there?
R: I am wrapped in fur.
S: Okay then, go to bed, and under the blanket, clutching bolster.
R: Good night!’
Do you feel Rumi will be with anyone of you? I am sure we shall soon see her away. My mother is so sad she wouldn’t have her only daughter sent away to a continent across a huge landmass and an ocean.” But she’s eager.
     “This’s where love rests, renews and multiplies. Arup could well volunteer to marry me before he left for the USA,” Anu murmured, unaware that Sujata had been back to meanwhile.” Sujata put her hand on the buddy’s hair, stroked it and smiled into her eyes.Delinked from online friends, Anu’s developed reading e-fictions. She’s now an avid reader. Such a reading helps her review her past understands how Arup’s unable to have the courage and sincerity to be honest in love like a romantic hero. She dreamt of a paradise where she’d live with Arup for ever. The dream deflated leaving her in a desert where she still gropes for the  way to the oasis.( continued on 9 April 2015)


No comments:

Post a Comment