Wednesday, June 18, 2014

She Won't Reveal 14





          She Won’t Reveal (14)        
                  Nidhu Bhusan Das

Anu and Sujata are now in the drawing room of Prof Sanyal. The distinctive beauty of the room’s its books on myriad subjects lined in shelves. The characters of books and their talk reflect the modern concept of inter-disciplinary study. The green carpet wrought with paranormal motif creates an aura unique in itself. Anu faces the Professor for the first time. The Aryan features of the scholar with his piercing eyes holds any probing mind. Anu’s instantly impressed when the Professor welcomed her calling ‘auntie’ and praising her stoicism he’s come to know about from his Maa Sujata. The two friends have come to the flat to participate in the dinner hosted for Anu. The Professor, happy being the host opened the conversation.

“How do you feel here away from your tranquil abode, auntie?”

“I’m comfortable with my buddy and you, son,” said Anu, smartly.

“Why have you not brought brother Angshu? We could have nice time together, we two

brothers,” the Professor said, earnestly.

“He’s comfortable with Prafullada, far from the hustle bustle of the city.You would be

happy when at our place with Angshu. He’d also enjoy your company.”

“We’re so alike, isn’t it, auntie?”

“How, son?” asked Anu, earnestly.

“Paranormal, I mean,” snapped Prof.Sanyal.

“But it isn’t recognized as science,” moaned Anu.

“They say it’s hoax,” added Sujata.

“It’s the science of Mind,” emphasized Prof.Sanyal.

“They say science of mind is Psychology,” said Anu.

“Paranormal phenomena relate to Mind, you know,” explained the Professor.

“They say science’s the body of knowledge that can be rationally explained and reliably

applied,” said Sujata.

“Paranormal’s science since it’s reliable for those who experience the phenomena. It

requires an exalted and transcendental mind,” the Professor tried to convince.

“I feel so. How can I let others know that I’ve regular communion with my departed

thammi? Who’ll believe it if I tell of the communion?” said Anu.


“They didn’t understand when Socrates asserted he could talk to God,” recounted Sujata.

“Yes, understand is the right word, not believe,” said the Professor.

Anu’s telephone buzzed. As she looked at the monitor, a pall of gloom appeared on her face. She said into the phone ‘Hello, son!’ with her voice trembling.

“Maa, Arupbabu telephoned and asked about your address at Guwahati,” informed Angshu.

“What did you say?”

“I said I don’t know.”

“God knows who gave him the phone number,” Anu murmured.

“I asked him. He said Nilu auntie gave,” said Angshu.

“Okay, son. Give Prafulla uncle.”

“Uncle’s here. Please talk to him.”

“Hello, Dada take care. Don’t leave Angshu alone, please.”

“Don’t worry, sister. I’m here.Angshu loves me. So, rest assured.”

Anu’s back to the conversation, put out. She’s really disturbed that Arup’s begun to pursue her though he knows she won’t respond to his exhortations. Her emotion for romantic love’s drained out, and he’s the cause. She cannot forget the days of ordeal and nightmares.

“What happened?” asked the Professor, worried.

“Arup, you know my former bf who’s married with my friend, appears to have taken strong interest in me. He’s in Amlarem, called at my office, I left for Guwahati to skirt him. In my absence he’s visited my house, talked to Angshu, and now asks for my telephone number. I don’t understand what’s in his mind. I’m worried, extremely.Don’t know what to do and what’s ahead, son.”

“Auntie, do you’ve any interest in him?’

“No, not in the least.”

“Had you been in communication before his arrival at your place? How did he know your

location?”

“Nilu, his maternal cousin’s my friend at Amlarem. She‘s behind it.”

“How come, you’ve become friend with the girl? Is it because she’s the cousin of Arup?

Doesn’t it mean that you couldn’t erase Arup from your mind?

“Maybe,” she said briefly, and began crying.

 The Professor and Sujata had a trying time to comfort her and stop her crying. “It’s

natural, really difficult to forget the person who once was the cause of many sweet

dreams.

“Auntie, I haven’t meant to hurt you, only want to understand your problem. How did the

relation break up?”
“That I can’t tell son. He’s been good to me all through. We

feel for each other. But I cannot return.”

“If that’s your resolve, it’s wise to steer clear of him, isn’t it?”

“I’ve tried, but Nilu’s been the barrier. She wants me to be like them. “

“You’ve said he’s been good to you.”

“Would you support bigamy, son?”

“You mean Arup wants you to be his second wife?”

“It’s like that, son.”

“Then you’ve to decide now for the sake of Angshu, at least.”

“I understand, but cannot. Help me, son.”

“I’ve a suggestion, but I guess it won’t be acceptable to you.”

“How do you know?”

“Sujata MAA told me you won’t visit your parents.”

“That I cannot do, son.”

“But there lies the possible solution, auntie.”

The dinner’d been ready by this time. The Professor decided they should dine now and

talk over the dinner and afterwards.But Anu's silent all through.Was she groping for a solution? She looked like a stone image the eyes of which were a fountain of tears rolling down incessantly.Petrified and brooding,Anu appeared to be a Stone Angel.
(continued on 3rd July 2014)










No comments:

Post a Comment