Wednesday, June 4, 2014

She Won't Reveal 13


            She Won’t Reveal (13)  
                      Nidhu Bhusan Das     
Anu left Amlarem for Guwahati on official assignment the day after Arup met her in her

office. When she’s at the flat of Sujata, chatting face to face, Arup visited her house. It’s

in the afternoon. Prafullada’s in the garden tending plants. Angshuman, Anu’s son’s in

the room upstairs. Arup told the gardener he’d meet Anu. Prafullada didn’t know him,

and said Anu’s away to Guwahati. He said,” I’m Arup, her friend from Delhi.” Prafullada
raised his brow and repeated,”Anu’s away.”

”May I see her son?” asked Arup, eagerly.

“He’s asleep”, said Prafullada.

“Well, I’ll wait.”

“But he won’t see anybody. His mother told him not to.”

While this conversation’s going on, Angshuman came down and to the garden, unaware

of the presence of any outsider, calling ‘uncle, uncle!’

“Angshu! why have you come down, so early? I’ll tell your mom.”

“Please, uncle don’t. I’m going back.”

As he turned, his eager eyes fell on Arup. “Who’re you waiting there?”he asked.

“I’m Arup, friend of Anu. And you?”

“I’m Anghsu, her son. Maa never told me about you.”

“I’ve come to meet your mom. May I talk to you?”

“Maa’s away. Let’s talk.” He took the stranger to the drawing room. Prafullada’s fuming.

He immediately stopped work, followed them into the drawing room and, to the

astonishment of Arup, sat beside Angshu as they’re talking. Arup looked back to their

student life and said he’s classmate of his mom and would call her Putul (Doll).

“Why Putul?” Angshu asked.

“She’s very dear to me.”

“That cannot be the reason.”

“Yes, that’s the reason. You won’t understand.”

In fact Arup that moment caught on the syndrome of Lilliputian hallucination to find that

Angshu’s a little child. Angshu understood and smiled. He asked,” When did you see her

last?”

“Only yesterday,” Arup said.

“I mean before this your visit here.”

“About five years from now.”

“Where?”

“In Delhi. She came here straight from Delhi.”

“You live in Delhi?”

“Yes, it’s a city of opportunities.”

“Also a city of betrayal. My Maa would never send me to Delhi. She won’t return to the plains.”

“Doesn’t she go to parents in Kolkata?”

“Grandma comes from time to time.”

“Grandma loves you so much!”

“Yes.”

“Won’t you visit them?”

“Maa won’t like me to be in the plains. People there wear mask.”

“Who told you?”

“My Maa’s bitter experience, I understand. Don’t you know, being her friend, as you

claim?”

Prafullada reminded Angshu it’s time for him to go upstairs. Angshu rose from the sofa,

bade Arup good bye.Arup looked on as Putul’s son turned and went away. His elegant

way and gait impressed the visitor.Prafullada noticed melancholia gripped Arup and

asked if he would have a cup of coffee. Arup simply said “Please” and dropped down on

the sofa.

A reverie visited Arup:” Angshu could well be my son, had I not been a stupid. Putul had

been mine till I left for the USA to study medicine. She had qualified in the Joint Entrance

but didn’t go for medical study because I hadn’t qualified. She wanted to be with me for

life. When midway through our MCA course at JNU, I went abroad to study, she found

herself betrayed. I told her of it only after I had got admission abroad and secured

student visa. True, Putul’s moody and mercurial but this incident had the deepest cut on

her. I haven’t found anyone so exalted and good at heart like her. During our romance

we planned marriage. We dreamt we would have a son, and she said the son would be

named Angshuman. I must admit I didn’t like her being in a musical choir wherein she

would interact with a few handsome boys. I was jealous but she’d assure me she’s mine.

Yet I couldn’t rest assured. That’s my Himalayan blunder. I ignored the fact that she’s

under the influence of the Capricorn, the 10th  zodiac sign with her star being Purbasa,

which means she’s headstrong. When she decides, she sticks to the decision.

Yesterday she said she’d attend the wedding of my son if she lived then. But Atin isn’t

my biological son. Mita carried before we’re married. Kuldip authored the child of Mita.

To save the two lives Putul facilitated the marriage. Is it her sweet revenge on me? But

she could make sacrifice in the interest of her friend. I’m a fool that I couldn’t understand

such a great soul.Fie on me.”

Prafullada came up with coffee and nuts. Arup took the coffee and went out with head

down. The gardener followed him up to the gate.

Prafullada rushed to the house as he heard the telephone ringing upstairs. Angshu

attended the call.

“Hello!”

“Hello, Please!”

“Angshu! How’re you, son?”

“I’m fine, maa. You? When have you reached, where are you now?”

“I’m also fine. I’d my lunch in time with Sujata auntie. I’m at her flat. Where’s Prafulla uncle?”

“He’s gone to see off one Arupbabu from Delhi. He said he’s your friend. Came to meet you.”

“So what! Have you talked to him?”

“He said he’d call you Putul.”

“You shouldn’t have talked to an outsider. Didn’t I tell you?”

“Sorry, Maa.I couldn’t like the man. He wasn’t a welcome guest, yet he talked. I couldn’t be rude. Uncle’s with me.”

“It’s okay. Remain obedient to uncle. I’ll be back in a week. Don’t be naughty, dear.”

“You see Maa, he said Delhi’s a city of opportunities. I said it’s also a city of betrayal. Am I not correct, Maa?”

“Yes, you’re.”

“Maa, he’s undesirably curious about us. Asked if you visit your parents in Kolkata.”

“Son, forget. We cannot give importance to every one and every thing. There’re many people with many motives,” Anu’s perturbed.Sujata noticed it.

“Anu, everything alright?” Sujata asked, anxious.

“Arup went to our house, talked to Angshu,”she said, disturbed.

“Not unexpected. He’s in emotional trouble, maybe in remorse,”Sujata snarled.

”But I’ll never be back to him. He should understand. My son’s everything for me.”

“Don’t worry. This spell of his emotional trouble will be over soon once he’s back to Delhi.Mita knows how to bring back his balance. This trouble for him is ephemeral.”

“Let it be so,” Anu said.(continued on 19 June 2014)




No comments:

Post a Comment