Thursday, January 15, 2015

She Won't Reveal 36




             She Won’t Reveal (36)
                      Nidhu Bhusan Das


Anu’d told Sujata she’d like to spend a few days with them in Guwahati in the tranquility of their company.” I’ll have to decide on my future roadmap. I cannot continue with the life I’ve led since my break-up with Arup.I’m now in a blind alley. I need guidence, and it’s from you two, Sujata,” said Anu entreatingly.Sujata reassured her of their being with her, always.” Let’s discuss the whole issue after dinner tonight. We understand you need a break to chart out your future course of life,” Sujata said and added lovingly,” My naughty buddy, we’re still so naughty, ain’t we?” They embraced each other in joy that glistened in the tears that rolled down their cheeks. Professor Sanyal entered the room and was relieved to see the cathartic moment.
                 The three had now the same thought- rehabilitation, and every one of them had different ideas as to how it’s possible.Anu’s mind’s turbulent. Her thought’s clouded by alternatives like going back to Arup, to the ageing parents or to a secluded corner of the Himalayas. A debate’s going on in her troubled psyche.
“Should I forget the vow and go back to Arup?”
“You shouldn’t and cannot to the perils of Mita,” murmured the alternative voice.
“Why? Arup’s eager to get me back.”
“It’s a sin on his part. Why would you be party to it?”
“Should I go back to my parents?”
“Why did you leave them? Didn’t they bring you to this world, nurture you and want to make you an accomplished person with good education and upbringing?”
“I don’t know, am confused.”
“Look back, try to understand. You’ve done injustice to them. They’re ageing quickly, and you’ve been the cause of their anxiety and agony.”
                   She looked back. It’s 2000 A.D. They’re in class VIII in two neighbouring convent schools. Every late afternoon Arup would come visit Anu.They’d talk, eat and stroll till it’s time to go back to the hostel. Anu had the date and day etched in her memory. It’s 7th November, Thursday.Arup came with a red rose, and offered it to Anu.She felt a new sensation. It’s wonderful. She felt the rose meant a lot. It bore to her the message,” Young lady, you’ve a meaningful future, someone’s come to love you which promises a family of your own. This was the first expression of love that turned the two pals into lovers. At a secluded corner they kissed when the sun’s going down in the west. The romance continued for five years and ended in 2005 when Arup informed he’s going to the USA the next day to study medicine. Arup offered the rose, and she kept it fresh with her tenderness all those years and then he took it away from her.Anu broke down as her dream deflated. She couldn’t understand Arup’d a different dream to build a career, not a home.”No, I cannot go back to one who doesn’t have the dream to build a home,” she understood.
                 No, her parents never interfered with her love relation with Arup.They didn’t encourage it either. When Arup’d visit Anu at their home, they’d treat him well, as the friend of the daughter deserved. They would like her to achieve academic excellence. They’re disappointed when she didn’t go for the study of medicine after qualifying in the Joint Entrance Exam. But they never let her know or understand they’re displeased or frustrated.” I shouldn’t blame them. True, I didn’t get their care as expected. But they’re busy not only professionally but also in humanitarian service for the poor and the destitute. I should have appreciated their role of a Good Samaritan. They did everything for my education but I failed to give importance to their sense of duty as parents as Arup couldn’t do justice to my love,” she analyzed. She’d now a holistic view.
“Is Anu serious? She’s the tendency to take odd decisions,” thought Sujata, puzzled.
“She said she’s in a blind alley now,” remembered Anu’s pal.
“Reconciliation with parents can help her restore peace of mind and stability in life.”
“She must have understood the vicissitudes and meaning of life,” Sujata tried to understand.
“So what she’s said cannot be an equivocation,”Sujata concluded.
The professor’s sure Anu’s come to understand the way of life.” Crises have firmed her up, and she can no longer afford to be mercurial and impulsive. Definitely she’ll go back to her parents.”
“Well Beti and Maa, no more going back, let’s go have lunch,” he suggested.
The three went downstairs to the dining room and Anu called Prafullada and Angshu.They’d a simple but enjoyable lunch and Anu volunteered to serve. The professor said he’d be fed by his Beti.Anu’s pleased and fed her papa. She hid her remorse that she never tried to be intimate with her father and understand him.
               The professor suggested after a one hour post-lunch rest they should have a session on light talk on life and self-criticism. Anu leaped to the suggestion and everyone agreed.
At three p.m. they sat in the drawing room.Prafullada and Angshu prepared Darjeeling in a pot and brought it for all to enjoy. The tea’s refreshing in the ambience of early evening. The session began over tea. The professor cracked the first joke.
“You see, I’m a bachelor. Do you know why? Because the girl I chose to wed was no more.”
“I’m a spinster and will remain so. They ask me why. Love’s foreign to millennial boys,” said Sujata.
“I adore celibacy, yet I feel the prick and tickle of love. Do you know why? Telepathy works on me. The boy I loved is so nostalgic,” said Anu with a sad smile.
The professor cracked a joke:” A friend of mine returned from a foreign trip, and asked his wife: Do I look like a foreigner?”
“No, not at all. Why?” asked the wife.
“In Moscow a lady asked me, Hey! Are you a foreigner?”
The telephone of Sujata rang. She set the speaker and voice recorder on for all to hear and record what Anuradha would say.”Auntie, we’ve married. Give ma’am the good news.”
“Whom have you married?”
“Why, it is Maqbool.We’ve registered this afternoon.”
“You said the other day Maqbool’s in Amlarem.Where are you?”
“I’ve been with him three days now. We’re happy together. Bless me, auntie.”
“Have your parents blessed you?”
“How can they? I’ve left them. Maybe, they’re looking for me.”
“Seek the blessings of Maqbool’s father and mothers. That will help, wicked girl,” Sujata told angrily.
“Auntie, Nilu ma’am helped us get registered. She’s so good and influential. We’ll leave for Delhi together in the same flight day after tomorrow.”
“Had you ever been to Delhi earlier?”
“No, it’ll be an exciting time over there. Jerry sir told he would take me to Arupda.”
“Who’s Arupda?”
“Why, bf of Anu ma’am.”
“All nonsense! Who told you?”
“Ma’am herself told me. She also said she longed for being with him.”
“Stop talking nonsense. You’re a liar,” thrashed Sujata and hung up.
                Everyone in the room heard thunder-struck the girl talking shamelessly.Anu’s relieved that Anuradha’d chosen her future alone, and she wasn’t a party to it.” Thank God!” she exclaimed and requested Prafullada to get evening tea ready.” God’s with us Beti,”said the professor.”Papa, I’m vindicated,” said Anu smiling. ( continued on 22 January 2015)












No comments:

Post a Comment